LICENSED BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND INSURED!!
- Ringneck Doves have a ring of color around their neck. Our dove, "Reesey", has a white "ring" of color around her neck
- Amazingly social birds and bond closely with their owners
- Have a history dating back to at least 2,000 years ago
Copyright 2010 Squeals on Wheels: Petting Zoo Virginia. All Rights Reserved.
- White Doves are often thought of as a separate species
- it is actually perhaps the most common color mutation of the Ringneck Dove
- often confused with the domestic white homing pigeon which is used for release at special occasions (weddings, anniversaries, etc.)
- However, this bird does not have the homing instinct and should not be released!
- Parlor Roller pigeons Do Not Fly - due to some odd genetics, these birds roll on the ground and do backward somersaults!
- Pigeon rolling is a type of competition and pigeons are judged by their rolling in the air or on the ground
- Our pigeons cock their heads, flip backwards, and do one somersault after another on the ground
- They spin at such at a fast speed that they look like a fast moving ball of feathers!
OUR DOVES & PIGEONS ARE INCLUDED IN THE:
"TUMBLES" and "ROLY POLY"
- Fantail Pigeons are characterized by their slender neck, small head and of course their beautiful fan-shaped tail.
- These pigeons have 30-40 feathers on their tail while an average bird's tail only contains about 12-14 feathers.
- Believed to have originated in India from a genetic mutation and are considered the original fancy pigeon.